Featured News

Amtrackers remember one of their own

14 May 2004 | Sgt. Jose L. Garcia

Marines with Company B, 3rd Assault Amphibian Battalion paused May 14 to remember one of their Marines who died in Iraq.

Twenty-one-year-old Pfc. Brian K. Cutter was killed after being electrocuted in an accident May 13.  Cutter, an amphibious assault crewman, arrived in Iraq only two days earlier.    

A crowd of more than 200 Marines and sailors, under a few raindrops, gathered for a memorial service to honor the Devone, Calif., Marine's memory and pay their last respects.

"The rain falling down is him," said Capt. Carlos T. Jackson, a 32-year-old Company B Commander from Detroit.

According to Sgt. Malrubio P. Rosendo, one of the battalion's crew chiefs from Phoenix, Cutter was killed while trying to fix an air conditioning system.

"He wanted to be recognized for the good things he did," the 25-year old said.  "He loved recognition.  When Marines ran out of cigarettes, he would be the first to offer."

Cutter was known for wearing a Harley-Davidson black leather jacket.  He often talked about customizing his Harley-Davidson motorcycle. 

"He always talked about riding his bike and how much he loved his family," said Pfc. Daniel P. Hutchings, 19, from Sutherlin, Ore.  Hutching was Cutter's best friend and roommate.

The Navy hospital corpsman who rushed to Cutter's aid said he wished they could have done more, but upon his arrival Cutter was already dead.

"I took it hard," said Navy Petty Officer 3rd Class Jason L. Marnne, 22, from Kingman, Ariz. "We did everything we could...  I go over it a lot in my mind.   

"We were expecting to save Marines from gunshot wounds not electrocution," Marnne added. 
Many of Cutter's comrades described him as a quiet kid, energetic, and full of life. 

Cutter was born Dec. 16, 1984 and joined the Marine Corps Aug. 25, 2003.

He completed recruit training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego. He joined 3rd Assault Amphibian Battalion, 1st Marine Division in March.

Hutchings explained how the two spent most of their off-time playing the computer and games together.  They also took the transit out to Oceanside and bought books to read. 

Cutter is survived by his foster parents and half sister.